Better Gas Safe than sorry
Gas Safe Register has launched its latest public awareness campaign, ‘Better Gas Safe than sorry’.
Gas Safe Register is the UK’s official list of gas engineers who can work safely and legally on gas. By law, all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register. The campaign is a hard-hitting approach to raising public awareness about the importance of gas safety and encouraging people to always use a Gas Safe registered engineer.
The new campaign features the real-life story of Anne, a mother whose teenage daughter died from carbon monoxide poisoning in 2005 as a result of unsafe gas work. She had been poisoned by carbon monoxide escaping from a gas fire that had been installed by a gas fitter who was not competent or registered to work on fires.
Gas Safe have put together a video of Anne’s story to show the tragic consequences of dangerous gas work, reminding the public why it’s so important to be Gas Safe. You can watch it at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk/truestories
Gas Safe Register are working with industry to improve gas safety awareness nationwide. Alongside various seasonal PR and marketing activities, they have also produced gas safety leaflets and will be running a national advertising campaign in the autumn.
You can keep Gas Safe in your home with these top tips
- Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix or service your gas appliances. You can find a Gas Safe registered engineer at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
- Always check the engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card.
- Check the gas engineer is qualified for the type of gas work you need doing – you can find this information on the back of their ID card.
- Get your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year or in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Carbon monoxide can kill. Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm – it could save your life.
- Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can be deadly – be aware of the gas safety risks.
Better Gas Safe than sorry. Always check the card.