Electricity - Friend or Foe?

In today’s age everyone has a house full of electrical gadgets, equipment and tools. We might hear folk moaning about the gadgets, especially when they plug2 stop working, but all in all we really are reliant on electricity – life without it would be hard!

There is no doubt that in the home electrical faults are the top cause of fires, which is the opposite of fires at work (this is because at work equipment and circuits get tested – at home they generally are not).

During 2011/12 there were 37,601 accidental fires of electrical origin and 244 deaths! Of this 11,954 were cooking appliances, 2,899 electrical supply, 1,083 washing machines and tumble driers, 767 lighting and 475 dishwashers!

What is not available is the number of fires caused by chargers overheating, there is certainly records of these being the cause of some fires.

I hope we all know the dangers of electricity and no-one has any of these culprits in their home – if you have then get rid today!

Faulty PlugEven extension boards are unsafe – quote I heard the other day – they are supposed to be a temporary solution not a permanent one! If you are going to have an extension board in situ for a length of time then make sure it is fused, and perhaps even surge protected into an RCD socket.

If you find a fault at home, but more especially at work then unless you are employed as a qualified electrician then you must not attempt to repair it! Either call an electrician or take it to the dump.

If you do see someone experiencing an electrical shock then you need to know what to do. The electricity will have found a route through the body to ground – don’t add yourself into this circuit!

DO NOT touch the person until you are sure the electricity is off, otherwise there will be two casualties.

Use something that is not conductive (a wooden broom would be good), to move the electrical items away from the person.

If they are conscious take them to hospital (even when they say they don’t need to), as electricity will track through the body until it finds ground. This could mean going through the heart – there may not be any pain or other symptoms but the organs could still be burnt.

If they are not conscious call 999 or 112 as this will be an emergency!

Overloaded Plug

Home safety is as important as office safety! 
Don’t get paranoid about electricity,
But do make sure you have control measures in place,
And know what to do to make your family safe!

DMG Delta "Shine"Here at DMG Delta we like to take part and offer our support to several charities / causes throughout the year (as I’m sure you have seen in our previous article DMG Dress to Impress for Comic Relief)

On Saturday 28th September 2013 our Sales Administrator here at Head Office, Kim; will be taking part in the full Shine London Marathon, to raise money for Prostate Cancer Research.

Whilst the Shine event looks like great fun and I have no doubt will be enjoyed by thousands, there is of course a reason behind it all.

We spoke with Kim to find out a little bit more as to why this charity is so important to her…

“Back in 2010 my Dad was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, which was a huge shock to us all.

We were however extremely fortunate in the fact that it was found during the very early stages. The hospital were able to offer my dad the best treatment possible. Due to the on-going development of treatment’s and the fantastic support we received, later that year he was given the all clear!! He still has to have regular checks every 3 months but to this day, he is back to his wonderful self and fighting fit.

My Sister & I wanted to take part in the Shine London Marathon to not only raise money for this amazing charity, but to raise awareness to others. Prostate Cancer is now the most common Cancer in men in the UK, yet still so little people understand the severity of the disease.

We are really looking forward to crossing that finish line & knowing that we have done everyone proud!!”

On behalf of all the staff here at DMG Delta we would like to wish Kim & her sister the very best of luck for Saturday & we look forward to hearing all about it next week.

DMG Dress to Impress for Comic Relief

The DMG offices in Stansted featured a wide range of weird and wonderful characters from the 1980’s as we got into the fund raising spirit to raise money for Comic Relief. In total, staff raised £150.95 for this excellent cause, including almost £40 from the sale of cakes made by our Resources Director, Zoe. Everyone turned up in fancy dress with our MD Rupert leading by example (he is sporting the green wig in the photo below!).

DMG Dress to Impress for Comic Relief

DMG Staff in their 80’s costumes for Comic Relief

(more…)

British Institute of Facilities Management Awards

British Institute of Facilities Management AwardsAs members of the British Institute of Facilities Management (BIFM), the recent BIFM Awards which took place in London were inspiring to watch.

The awards are the biggest and most prestigious event in the UK’s facilities management calendar, and give national recognition to the leaders in our profession.

The BIFM developed these awards to celebrate the increasingly strategic profile of facilities management by highlighting the key role it plays in the success of public and private sector organisations. After all, a well maintained facilities management solution keeps our clients’ residential properties, commercial premises and industrial units operating efficiently.

(more…)

Wishing you a Merry Christmas

DMG Delta would like to thank our customers for their continued and valued support during 2010.

As part of our ongoing commitment to charitable causes, we will be making a charitable donation this year to The British Heart Foundation.

We would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and Prosperous New Year.

(more…)

Better Gas Safe than sorry

Better Gas Safe than sorry

Gas Safe Register has launched its latest public awareness campaign, ‘Better Gas Safe than sorry’.

Gas Safe Register is the UK’s official list of gas engineers who can work safely and legally on gas. By law, all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register. The campaign is a hard-hitting approach to raising public awareness about the importance of gas safety and encouraging people to always use a Gas Safe registered engineer.

The new campaign features the real-life story of Anne, a mother whose teenage daughter died from carbon monoxide poisoning in 2005 as a result of unsafe gas work. She had been poisoned by carbon monoxide escaping from a gas fire that had been installed by a gas fitter who was not competent or registered to work on fires.

(more…)