Gas Safe Week - a guide for the trade
Here at DMG Delta we are of course fully supporting Gas Safety week so thought we’d write one more article, this time about how things apply to the trade.
Gas Safety Week is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on your gas boiler, gas cooker and gas fire. Its aims to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.
All our engineers here are Gas Safe registered so our clients know that they’re fully trained and qualified to work on gas appliances. It’s not always the way though and so if you’re involved in the building or property trade it’s worth reminding property owners to:
- make sure only a Gas Safe registered engineer works on their gas appliances. Illegal gas fitters can put their life at risk
- always check the engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card
- make sure gas appliances have a regular service and a gas safety check every 12 months
- look out for warning signs that their gas appliances aren’t working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room
- know the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness
- install an audible carbon monoxide alarm
- call the gas emergency number on 0800 111 999 if they smell gas
For our contracted customers we would do many of these things as part of a maintenance contract. Gas safety must always come first after all. Remember to that – for our contracted customers we are on call to answer emergencies 24 hours a day 7 days a week and offer 4 hour response times.
To find out more call us on 01279 810100 or Contact us through the website. And remember to always be Gas Safe.